Relay Publishing is looking for a creative, organized, and deadline-driven Outline Writer, who will provide the roadmap to an engaging SEAL romance novel that keeps our readers coming back for more!
Our ideal candidate will work within the Relay Publishing outline template to create the character set-up and plot for the book. The end result is detailed character sheets outlining goals, motivations, and internal conflicts for each of the main characters, as well as a full chapter-by-chapter for the book. This process requires regular back and forth communication between the outline writer and their editors in a “Writer’s Room” format.
Necessary Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience within the romance genre and specific experience and knowledge in the SEAL romance sub-genre. You should be familiar with Susan Stoker, Cora Seton, Lynne St.James & Brittney Sahin Tawny Weber, Suzanne Brockmann, Trish McCallan, and Linda Howard.
- A love for working collaboratively with editors and other writers.
- Particularly looking for those with experience writing storylines that juggle both suspense and romance plots simultaneously—no easy feat! The ability to write about masculine alpha males and the smart and determined heroines they fall for, as well as witty banter and comradery common in military groups, where tough love is dished out freely, is a big plus.
- Comfortable with military heroes, action and intimate scenes.
- Prior outlining experience a big plus.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Time management and prioritization.
- Technologically savvy in order to work with our project management software and Word!
A deep knowledge of the genre is required—viable candidates should already have written widely in the SEAL romance genres and be familiar with the bestsellers. You know why readers pick up these books and the experience they want from them. Your style is dramatic, character-focused, and emotionally driven. You’re able to juggle both the suspense plot and the romance plot simultaneously, keeping tension high throughout. A firefight in an abandoned warehouse is as easy to write as a love scene. Your stories leave readers believing in the power of love and emotionally satisfied by your characters overcoming all obstacles.
You could be a current writer of romance novels that has too many ideas and is looking for an outlet. Or an editor with developmental editing experience looking to use their knowledge to create. Or maybe you’re between projects and are looking to create as a team. Regardless, you need to have high familiarity with the genre, know how to plot and structure a story, and have a good mind for what readers in this genre want. You will enjoy a challenge and using your problem-solving skills to define what is next in the story. You are a person who enjoys the brainstorming process and high-level collaborative creation.
We want to work with writers who are creative, passionate, and conscientious on an ongoing basis. As a virtual office, communication is key—we like to work with individuals who can meet deadlines and communicate clearly and efficiently to keep project coordinators up to date with your progress.
What’s in it for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow. We use an online project management system to run our projects which integrate seamlessly with your emails.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. Flexibility is one of our core work principles: as long as the work gets done, you can do it whenever it suits you. Unlike a traditional office we don’t require you to be at your desk 9-5—you pick your own schedule. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts.
We have grown dramatically over the last couple years and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!