We are looking for a creative, organized, and deadline-driven manuscript ghostwriter, whose high-level writing skills can produce a dark, suspenseful serial killer detective novel.
Our ideal candidate will work with the Relay Publishing outline team to take our outline and turn it into a thoughtful, creative and dramatic manuscript. Our typical serial killer detective thriller is about 90k words in length, written in third person POV, past-tense. Our writing process requires a solid relationship and back and forth between our writer and editor. We want you to use our team to set the basis for your character and story line and build it into a bestselling novel.
Necessary Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience writing within the detective and thriller genres, and a taste for the darker side of it. You may have written some horror previously.
- Work collaboratively with editors and using the written outline as the basis for your manuscript
- Particularly looking for those with experience shifting POV from detective to victim or detective to killer.
- High level writing experience. We are looking for the best of the best, with a drive to bring a vision to life.
- Ability to use characters and story arcs to build tension. Strong knowledge of pacing and structure is required.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Time management and prioritization.
- Technologically savvy in order to work with our project management software and Word!
A deep knowledge of the genre is required—viable candidates should already have written widely in the Detective and Thriller genres and have a good knowledge of the bestselling authors— LT Vargus, Rachel Caine, Karin Slaughter, Rachel Abbott, Jeff Carson, Stieg Larrson etc.
You have the ability to maintain a taut story, even as you switch POV, and can work with dark, disturbing topics, such as murder, child abduction, and violence. You enjoy complicated, broken characters, and creating paced, suspenseful, and cleverly constructed novels. Adding in captivating twists and turns, your novels grip your readers and don’t let up until the last page is turned.
You enjoy a challenge and using your problem-solving skills to develop an outline into a story. You are a person who enjoys the brainstorming process and high level collaborative creation. You are passionate about your writing and work well with deadlines.
What’s in It for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts!
We have grown dramatically over the last year and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!