We are looking for a creative, organized, and deadline-driven Outline Writer, who will provide the roadmap to an engaging YA Sci-Fi/Dystopian series that keeps an audience coming back for more!
Our ideal candidate will work within the Relay Publishing outline template to write the character set-up and plot for the book. The result is detailed character sheets outlining goals, motivations, and internal conflicts for each of the main characters, as well as a full chapter-by-chapter of the book. This process requires extensive back and forth communication between the outline writer and our outline editor as well as input from our concept creator. To paraphrase Stephen King’s writing methodology “Try to put interesting people in difficult situations and then write to find out what happens”. You will be the creator of the interesting characters and their difficult situations, creating a blueprint for our manuscript writer to write a great story!
This is a commissioned assignment and all rights will be transferred to Relay Publishing upon completion.
Necessary Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience within the genre of Young Adult Dystopian Sci-Fi, with the ability to create angst ridden teenage protagonists and develop a complex, detailed world.
- Work collaboratively with editors and concept creators to build a comprehensive outline to a complex Dystopian story in a fully developed and absorbing world, where a strictly controlled society can only be overcome by your character’s willingness to rebel.
- Enjoy creating the hero’s journey from their normal existence into the great unknown, and formulating the challenges they overcome along the way.
- Particularly looking for those with experience writing with a Young Adult Story, creating an authentic young voice with relatable teenage angst and complex, believable decision-making skills.
- Writing or editing experience, with a drive to see your story come to life on paper.
- Ability to use characters and story arcs to build drama for your readers.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Time management and prioritization.
- Technologically savvy in order to work with our project management software and Word!
A deep knowledge of the genre is required—viable candidates should already have written YA dystopian, and have both read (The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner, The Uglies, Matched) and written or edited YA Dystopian stories. You have the ability to maintain a solid story, to create and engross your audience in a futuristic new world, and to develop characters who are instantly engaging. Your style is dramatic, character-focused, and emotionally driven. Our Dystopian writers create a protagonist who not only saves society from sure obliteration, but also falls in love. You can handle both fast-paced action, but also the angsty, internal wrestling YA experience. Readers will suspend disbelief to get into dystopian scenario, but then everything after that must be realistic and follow the rules the world has set up.
In addition, you know how to plot and structure a story, and have a good mind for what readers in this genre want. You will enjoy a challenge and using your problem-solving skills to define what is next in the story. You are a person who enjoys the brainstorming process and high level collaborative creation.
What’s in It for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts!
We have grown dramatically over the last year and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!