Relay Publishing is looking to work with talented & experienced English to Latin American Spanish Proofreaders who want to earn a competitive, reliable income in a fun online working environment using their skills to work on fiction titles in Romance & Fantasy genres.
Our ideal candidate will review the Spanish manuscript and blurb (translated from English) to ensure the quality of work that Relay expects. The final delivered manuscript will need to read fluidly and naturally to a native speaker with a keen attention to the nuance that brings our stories to life. Our novels range from 30,000 – 100,000 words and we are looking for a Latin American Spanish Proofreader that can proof between 2000 – 4000 words per day.
Necessary Skills & Experience
- You are a native Latin American Spanish speaker and fluent in English.
- Minimum 2 years Latin American Spanish proofreading experience
- Proven experience of proofreading fiction stories which have been translated from English into Latin American Spanish
- Specific experience proofreading romance and / or fantasy fiction genres preferred (must be comfortable with love scenes)
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of the Latin American Spanish translation team to produce a final manuscript free from grammatical and spelling errors
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Time management and prioritization
- Technologically savvy in order to work with our project management software and Word!
You have a solid understanding of how to proofread a translated manuscript and ensure that it is a fluid and readable story for a Latin American Spanish audience. You are reliable and able to deliver quality work to a set deadline. You enjoy working collaboratively as part of a team helping the translators to improve their translation skills.
We want to work with people who are creative, passionate, and conscientious on an ongoing basis. As Relay runs a virtual office, communication is key, so we like to work with individuals who can meet deadlines and communicate clearly and efficiently to keep project coordinators up to date with your progress. To be successful in this role, you possess the following qualities: you are inquisitive, proactive, responsive, and responsible.
What’s in it for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow. We use an online project management system to run our projects which integrate seamlessly with your emails.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. Flexibility is one of our core work principles: as long as the work gets done, you can do it whenever it suits you. Unlike a traditional office we don’t require you to be at your desk 9-5—you pick your own schedule. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts.
We have grown dramatically over the last couple years and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!
In addition to your own sample, we’d love to see a short sample of your proofreading on an excerpt that we’ll provide.
- Please download this Narrative Excerpt from a romance novel (approximately 1100 words) as a word document and uploaded an edited version with tracked changes showing your edits/ comments when prompted in the application form. Please do not edit the google document linked.
- Please bear in mind when proofreading this excerpt, that the final delivered manuscripts will need to read fluidly and naturally to a native speaker.
- Please also attach one or more samples of your own so that we can review these alongside. You will be prompted to do this in the application form.