Relay Publishing is looking for a professional, experienced recruiter that is an expert at building relationships with both managers and candidates, and using a wide range of search, interview, and recruitment techniques to find the right candidate for the job. Relay’s new part-time Recruiter will be flexible, business-oriented, hard-working, proactive and positive. This role’s main goal is to efficiently and effectively fill open positions within Relay Publishing which is composed entirely of contractors. The role requires someone to solicit, evaluate and secure the best person for the job, both in creative roles such as writing, editing, and illustration, but also company-wide, including marketing, project management, coordination and administration. We want somebody that can spot a great candidate from a mile away, and even better, knows how to find one and chase them down! The Recruiter position combines your exceptional people skills with your ability to locate and acquire new talent, developing recruitment plans using both traditional sourcing strategies as well as new and creative recruiting ideas.
You will be responsible for the hiring of the best possible people for Relay Publishing. We want to work with people who are creative, passionate, and conscientious on an ongoing basis. As a virtual office, communication is key—we like to work with individuals who can meet deadlines and communicate clearly and efficiently to keep the team up to date with their progress.
You will need a strategic, results-oriented focus to help us drive the business forward. This position requires a conscientious person to grow the company and the position into what they want. We are all about growing together.
Recruiting excellent creatives is one of the biggest challenges Relay Publishing currently faces. If you are someone who loves the idea of a big challenge, then Relay is interested in you.
Necessary Skills & Experience
- Ability to network and build relationships with literary agents, authors, and creative communities
- Experience working with creatives
- Superior editorial judgment and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to negotiate fees and manage contractual arrangements
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of procedures, and regulations pertaining to the recruitment and hiring of contractors
- Experience working in an online, remote, virtual office
- Must be tech savvy with prior experience using project management software
- Represent Relay Publishing in the recruitment world
- Recruit talent from traditional and non-traditional resources
- Sign new contractors that advance the strategic, creative and financial goals of Relay
- Have phone and video meetings with candidates, management and contractors as required
- Write and update job descriptions and post job ads for both creative and administrative roles
- Review cover letters, CV’s, and creative submissions, including sample materials
- Handle referrals and unsolicited submissions
- Set up trials for creative roles such as writers and editors and review submissions
- Screen applicants to evaluate if they meet the position requirements
- Provide a shortlist of candidates to the MD & COO to finalize candidates for interview
- Negotiate rates and deliver contracts
- Research and recommend new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting
- Utilise Teamwork and Airtable to effectively manage this position
What’s in it for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow. We use an online project management system to run our projects which integrate seamlessly with your emails.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. Flexibility is one of our core work principles: as long as the work gets done, you can do it whenever it suits you. Unlike a traditional office we don’t require you to be at your desk 9-5—you pick your own schedule. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts.
We have grown dramatically over the last couple years and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!