We are looking for a creative, organized, and deadline-driven Outline Writer, who will provide the roadmap to an engaging YA Dragon Fantasy series that keeps an audience coming back for more!
Our ideal candidate will work within the Relay Publishing outline template to write the character set-up and plot for the book. The result is detailed character sheets outlining goals, motivations, and internal conflicts for each of the main characters, as well as a full chapter-by-chapter of the book. This process requires extensive back and forth communication between the outline writer and our outline editor as well as input from our concept creator. To paraphrase Stephen King’s writing methodology “Try to put interesting people in difficult situations and then write to find out what happens”. You will be the creator of the interesting characters and their difficult situations, creating a blueprint for our manuscript writer to write a great story!
Necessary Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience within the YA Fantasy genre, with a specific interest and joy in bringing mythical creatures to life. You should be familiar with authors such as Anne McCaffrey, Christopher Paolini, and Philip Pullman.
- Work collaboratively with editors and concept creators to build a comprehensive outline to a complex fantasy story in a fully developed and absorbing medieval fantasy world.
- Enjoy the high fantasy world of flying, flame-shooting reptiles, and all the subsequent action that follows.
- Particularly looking for those with experience writing with a Young Adult Story, creating an authentic young voice with relatable teenage angst and complex, believable decision-making skills.
- Writing or editing experience, with a drive to see your story come to life on paper.
- Ability to use characters and story arcs to build drama for your readers.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Time management and prioritization.
- Technologically savvy in order to work with our project management software and Word!
A deep knowledge of the genre is required—viable candidates should already have written, edited or read widely in the YA Fantasy genre, specifically Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern and Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle. Particularly looking for those with experience writing exciting Dragon storylines that are immersive, character-driven, and fun—mixing YA humor and action together. This could be a current writer of YA Fantasy novels that has too many ideas and is looking for an outlet, or an editor with developmental editing experience looking to use their knowledge to create. Regardless, you need to have high familiarity with the genre, specifically Dragons, Fantasy worlds, the Feudal system, Rags to riches stories, Prophecies, Royalty, Family betrayal, Magic/Sorcery, and Hero’s Journey tropes.
In addition, you know how to plot and structure a story, and have a good mind for what readers in this genre want. You will enjoy a challenge and using your problem-solving skills to define what is next in the story. You are a person who enjoys the brainstorming process and high level collaborative creation.
What’s in It for You?
An amazing freelance, online, remote working environment with a real collaborative virtual office that fosters teamwork, development and open communication. We are passionate about creating an online workplace that really works! We use an online project management software that helps us keep an open, collaborative approach to all our projects. Just because we work remote, doesn’t mean we have to be remote! We want to nurture our team and work with a consistent group of professionals to be part of the company as it continues to grow.
We thoroughly believe in long-term collaborative relationships and that is reflected in our approach to all our projects. We offer competitive rates, clear briefs & expectations, and friendly and fun communication throughout. If you’re serious about writing or editing for a living, we’d love to hear from you.
We are always open to ideas. We like to have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives for participation. Whether that’s a new book or business venture, a change to processes and workflow. No matter what your role, you are part of the team and your voice counts!
We have grown dramatically over the last year and we plan on growing more, come along for the ride!