Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I apply to work with Relay Publishing?
All our vacancies are listed online and you can apply via our Writing, Editing or Other Roles pages (for designers, translators, book formatters etc). Read through the job descriptions and if there is a role that suits your experience and interest, you can apply via the application form at the end of each page.
When submitting, please ensure that the sample you attach is in the genre that you are applying for – we are looking for samples that demonstrate your previous experience and abilities writing in the specific genre. Please refer to the job description for example authors and guidance on what we are looking for and consider which of your previous works would best show us whether you might be a fit. We’ll contact you following this. IYou can also check our website for our published books as a further reference.
When can I expect to hear back from you?
We’d like to say pretty quickly! But we do regularly receive a large number of applications, so a reply can sometimes take up to 2 weeks. Please be patient in case we are experiencing a particularly busy time!
If you are applying for a genre/ role not currently advertised we will keep your application on file however we won’t review until we are hiring for the particular role so you may not receive a response straight away.
What does the recruitment process look like?
- Firstly, your sample submission is reviewed by our senior editors. We are looking for samples that demonstrate your previous experience and abilities writing in the specific genre. Please refer to the job description for example authors and guidance on what we are looking for and consider which of your previous works would best show us whether you might be a fit. If the decision is made to move forward, then we’ll send you a request for a trial and finalise details of trial rates and ongoing rates to make sure we’re on the same page.
- You’ll complete a paid trial for us (at our agreed-upon, per word rate), so that you get a feel for how it is to work in our structure and we can see if your work is a good fit for us.
- We’ll evaluate your trial to make sure that it meets our goals and style. This may take a few days and sometimes we may ask for writing revisions based on editorial feedback as part of this stage of the trial.
- If we like your trial (and you liked doing it) then you’re on board! If we have a project offer straight away, we’ll get you all set up with our project management software and processes, and then our team will reach out with the details. Otherwise you’ll be on our books and we’ll contact you with project offers as they come up.
- When you receive a project pitch we’ll include some timings and a suggested schedule as well as an overview of the project so that you can check your interest/ capacity. If you are able to accept, we send you a contract, you review and sign it, and begin working with us!
Do I get credited in the published book?
No, all writing/ editing work with Relay Publishing is as non-credited ghostwriters for our new or established pen names. We do offer to credit our translators if you would like this.
I’m not entirely sure about what a pen name is?
A pen name is a fictitious name that a book is published under when the actual author’s name is something different. There are a lot of reasons for using pen names and our Managing Director, Harry Wallett has written an article all about pen names here that will give you some more information about this topic.
Will my editing style suit Relay?
Relay works with a more “hands-on” approach with edits, and that is definitely something we and our writers welcome. If you come from a traditional editing background, where having utmost respect for writer’s voice and style is paramount (above that of a good story), then this approach can feel a bit odd. Do you feel that you would be open to this collaborative style of working?
Can I refer someone who I think might be a great fit?
Relay Publishing is always looking for talented writers, editors, and outliners. We have found that the best way to meet a great writer or editor, is to ask a great writer or editor! That’s where you come in. If you have a friend, colleague, acquaintance or even facebook friend who would be a good addition to Relay, and we hire them to join our freelancer team, we’ll give you a $200 finders fee once they have completed their first project with us. In addition to our writing and editing teams, we are also seeking talented cover artists, illustrators, and typographers and translators.
How do I refer a friend to Relay?
It is so simple! Just send us your referral’s name, skills, and a way to contact them to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no limit to the number of referrals you can send us. We can’t wait to meet your friends!
I still have some questions that I need answers to. How can I get in touch?
You can always get in touch with us by sending an email to email@example.com